Since more than 150 years
VSM stands for Vereinigte Schmirgel- und Maschinen-Fabriken AG, based in Hanover-Hainholz. Founded in 1864 by Siegmund Oppenheim and Siegmund Seeligmann, the company started out with the manufacturing of sandpaper. 50 years later, VSM decided to specialise in the production of coated abrasives.
It was the design of its own in-house cloth treatment plant that led to VSM becoming one of the leading companies in the abrasives industry at that time. Despite the ravages caused during the Second World War, the company’s success was unstoppable. Thanks to retained earnings and the dedication of the company’s workforce, it was possible to quickly resume the production on 5th October 1945.
What followed was the development of a belt conversion plant, storage facilities, laboratories, and test and pilot facilities in addition to the consistent expansion of its production capacities. The building of a state-of-the art training centre, which boasts a workshop with grinding machinery and conference rooms with modern conference technology, which can be used by both our customers and staff, completes the process of modernisation. All of this has contributed to making VSM what it is today – one of the most distinguished manufacturers in the abrasives industry.
VSM Abrasives Ltd.
The company philosophy has remained unchanged over the years; to supply quality coated abrasive materials to the UK market.
Changes within the abrasives industry have seen a reduction in the number of manufacturers with conversion plants in the UK. We are a UK based company and provide our customers with high performance, high quality products with reduced lead times, supported by a comprehensive consultancy service - and that since 1955.
History in numbers
- 1955 saw the foundation of VSM's first subsidiary, after seven years trading as Tapex Ltd, VSM purchased all the shares and the new company VSM Abrasives Limited was formed
- From the premises in Camberwell New Road, London, the journey began
- 1964 a move to Whippendell Road, Watford
- 1974 a move to Milton Keynes, the "town of the future"
- 1998 moved to premises at Stacey Bushes, Milton Keynes
- 2016 moved to present premises at Crownhill, Milton Keynes, ideally situated close to the motorway network and centrally positioned to serve the UK market